Sunday, March 12, 2017

Live to Inspire



Being a women is hard enough. In the past women have jumped more obstacles than necessary and today we face an obstacle that should have never crossed our path. That is beauty.

Now you may be wondering why I am creating an opening about beauty. The standard of beauty has been modified for generations and today more than ever women have a part time job in modifying their beauty.  We are all beautiful and we tend to forget that. The beauty industry, the fashion industry and the cosmetic industry strive from the insecurities of women. Being a 17 year old female is hard, especially when social media rules my live and other people as well.

Now, in my previous post, I talked about the genre of drama and how I took inspiration from personal experience, as well as videos and article, to pick the topic of beauty, in which fits well in the drama conventions.

This is tough for me to write or even talk about. But here it goes.

I feel embarrassed of my skin. It is something I have had to live with since the small age of 11. I was told by a boy that I had something on my face. That hurt but not as much as it hurts now, those thoughts and that person will never escape my mind. That was the start of my hate. My acne did get worse in middle schools, especially in 7th and 8th grade. It has been better, but the reflection in the mirror is still a constant reminder that it is there and that it hasn't left. I felt alone. Everywhere I looked, kids had clear skin and that is still true  to me today. I could be half way across the world and still  feel alone. I never felt like I fit in. You see, what is on my face is a disease. I am a disease. I feel like a disease.

My main inspiration for this film opening is to capture that feeling that self-hate is something I and many women face. I will not just be talking about skin, I will be talking about the dark standards of beauty in the 21st century. I got very inspired by a short film posted on YouTube.

The video came to show how the only way someone can feel beautiful is becoming the mask that everyone wants to see. Reading a blog from the Huffington Post about beauty today and beauty in the past through the use of advertisements have opened my eyes to the objectification that women face in the past and the present.  The advertisement article talks about how the beauty industry changed the ideals of what beauty is and as mentioned advertisement played a huge role in that societal change.


I hope to live to inspire individuals to be the best version of themselves and that it is ok to have bad days because in the end, you know that you are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside.


I'm Beautiful - Short Film. (2015, December 20). Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnWjkmSHRE 

Huckeba, S. (2016, December 21). Beauty and the Beast. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stacie-huckeba/beauty-and-the-beast_3_b_13519380.html

Scherker, A. (2014, April 29). 7 Ways The Beauty Industry Convinced Women That They Weren't Good Enough. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/beauty-industry-women_n_5127078.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment